Monday, October 11, 2004

Coffee in Oxford

Caleb (clearly a man who appreciates his caffeine) agonises in Confessions of a coffee drinker about the tensions between the guilt we feel about our blatant consumerism and our pain when the price of our favourite beverage goes up. I commented somewhat glibly about how cheap coffee was in the States relative to UK, then wondered if I'd got it quite right, and went round Oxford this morning checking in some of the more high profile coffee shops. Here are the results.

I wondered at first whether it wasn't that coffee cost twice as much here, but only that for so many everyday uses, one dollar buys as much as one pound over here. (Even though according to today's currency conversion, it's only really 55 pence.) But I found that in fact the price of a latte grande at Starbucks (which they claim is 12 ounces, whatever that means) is £2.15, or $3.86. So my first claim, that coffee in the UK costs over twice as much, was an underestimate.

posted by Tony at 10/11/2004 02:52:00 pm

1 Comments:

Blogger Caleb McDaniel said...

Thanks for the on-the-grounds (pun intended) reporting, Tony! Another thing that might have thrown you off is that in my original post, I was referring to prices for plain old drip coffee. Espresso drinks here are much closer to the prices you've discovered there. And indeed, I do love my caffeinated beverages!

11:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home