Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Hat Pride

I'm very pleased with, and proud of, the Tilley hat that Alison bought me for my birthday present at the gents' outfitters in Church Stretton.

It describes itself inside the brim thus:

THE TILLEY HAT
The finest in all the world
Guaranteed for life, insured against loss
It floats, ties on (front and/or back), repels rain, blocks UV rays and won't shrink, it comes with eight 'brag tags' in the security pocket plus a four-page owner's manual.

Ten-ounce USA-treated cotton duck; the best of British brass hardware; hydrofil headband for superb anti-sweat comfort; handcrafted with Canadian persnicketiness.

There are also legendary tales of one owner, a zookeeper, who has had his Tilley hat eaten by an elephant three times. Each time it is returned, he merely washes it thoroughly and wears it again. (The manufacturers offered him a replacement in return for the original one to put in their museum - he declined.)

I have been coveting Hubert's for some months; now I am a proud owner too.

posted by Tony at 8/17/2004 09:49:00 pm

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

from real live preacher,

Ooh, I want one! I might even retire my old hat for a Tilley. It was the elephant story that won me over. Where does one buy a Tilley, I wonder? Is it only in the UK? Is there an online outlet?

rlp

1:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home