Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Money-Launderers Of The World, Unite!

From, I do not BELIEVE it!

There are not that many things that make me really angry. On the whole, I would say I was an even-tempered, easy-going kind of guy. But one thing that really makes steam come out of my ears is the current rigmarole you have to go through with banks and building societies to provide proof of identity before you can open an account, or do anything pretty much.

Today I tried to open a cash ISA, to put away a bit of money from the return on some previous savings. I thought I knew the drill: two proofs of identity, such as passport, and a recent utilities bill; I'd even taken my birth certificate as a third piece of evidence just in case. Lo and behold, it wasn't acceptable because the utilities bill only had my first name and surname, and didn't include my middle initial.

These strict requirements are apparently required by the FSRA (?), the Financial Services Regulatory Authority, or some such. It makes it practically impossible for new customers, especially young people, to open accounts, because they generally don't pay utility bills. But more than this, it's an intrusive and time-wasting nuisance for regular users, who have to go in and provide this kind of proof of identity in order to administer existing accounts for charities, churches etc. The institutions don't really care about small customers like the young and the average, however; their main interest is the mega-accounts, and their own profits.

For, you see, the whole point of these guidelines from the FSRA, is to combat money-laundering and the financing of terrorism, which they allege they are required by the Government to do, though I'm pretty sure the main object, as said, is to look after their interests. When I wrote to my MP and complained about it, the last time the head of steam built up in me, he said the problem was not the Government's requirements, but the way the financial institutions interpreted and applied them. (You see how they pass the buck, and cover their own backs?) I asked him for exact statistics of the number of churches, charities and clergy involved in money-laundering and the financing of terrorism, and he did not reply. I suspect because it is around zero%.

But the thing that really astonishes me, is that no one else seems to mind about this, everyone puts up with it like turkeys getting in line for Christmas. Why is no one out there pulling up the cobble stones and throwing them through the windows of banks? And MPs?

posted by Tony at 9/07/2004 06:13:00 pm

1 Comments:

Blogger Tony said...

It's enough to make ID cards seem attractive.??

Steady on there, girl! I used to think ID cards would be a great idea if they replaced all the other bits of plastic etc we have to carry around with us, but the more I hear about what's being planned, the more convinced I am they would be IN ADDITION.

11:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home