Thursday, August 26, 2004

Liturgically Sad

Just watched the DVD of Master and Commander. Great film, and I love Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin novels that it's based on. It's not a bad adaptation either; though by and large I am very tolerant of films of novels-I-love: I rarely dismiss them as no good, like some people feel they need to do. Thrilling scenes of bloody battle, seascapes, views of the Galapagos, etc.

So what did I find fault with?

That in the burial at sea, when the assembled ship's company join in the Lord's Prayer, they don't use the BCP version, but are all clearly saying, "Our Father, who are art in heaven ... as we forgive those who trespass against us ...

Suddenly I feel like one of those anoraks who criticise the Miss Marple films because they're set in 1951, and that model of bus wasn't introduced until 1953.

What's the name for a liturgical anorak? A chasuble, perhaps?

posted by Tony at 8/26/2004 09:13:00 pm

4 Comments:

Blogger David L Rattigan said...

Hmm. I haven't a clue about the original novel, but I love Peter Weir films. Only thing that has put me off this one is that for some reason I'm just not attracted to period dramas. Don't know why, 'cause I often end up seeing them and enjoying them, it's just it takes a real kick up the ass to get me to watch them in the first place.

8:30 am  
Blogger Tony said...

Purists could object to the little detail that Master and Commander is the title of the first of the series, while most of the action of the film is based on The Far Side of the World; and that the powerful frigate they are sent to intercept is not French in the novel, but American. (Doesn't look too good for the 'special relationship')

But the action sequences and detail look pretty good and give a powerful visual presentation to what you have to imagine when you read them. Recommended! (Both books and film). The novels are way better than Hornblower or Alexander Kent with whom they are often compared.

9:35 am  
Blogger maggi said...

I love the 'proper' Lord's prayer - it always bugs me that although 'Those who trespass against us' sounds more contemporary, it's actually gramatically incorrect.
You wouldn't say 'I forgive those', you'd say 'I forgive THEM'.

Best wishes,
Sad Old Pedant (shortly moving to Tunbridge Wells)

10:56 am  
Blogger David L Rattigan said...

Oh. Tunbridge Wells? Was that the leap of faith you were blogging about...? Pray, tell what exciting things you have lined up in Tunbridge Wells. I hate getting all these little teasers all the time. Give us meat that we can eat, Maggi! :)

11:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home